Friday

The Pleasure of Bedding a Baroness

November 11, 2011

Did the grinding of my teeth disturb anyone?
 http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/tamara-lejeune/

It is at times like this that I ask myself, "Am I not seeing what other people see?"  Let me be frank (or whoever you want) - this book was not a screw-ball comedy, a light-weight romp or anything resembling those two.  And, do you know why?  Because, those two things are funny.

There was one good thing I got out of The Pleasure of Bedding a Baroness and that was my nomination for the most mean-spirited, nasty, spoiled, loathsome, unpleasant, horrible, surly secondary character it has ever been my privilege(?) to read.  Someone take this Thesaurus out of my hands before I find more words to describe Prudence.  Poisonous Prudence, the twin sister of Patience, our heroine.  She lies, she cheats, she shrieks, she throws tantrums...she is just awful and I think maybe her antics were supposed to be funny.  Not sure; they weren't for me.  There are some villains in this book, Milford, his sister Isabella and a few more.   They were awful too, but not as bad as Horrid Prudence.  She is so bad, she distracts from the romance of the main couple.  Normally, I don't think main secondary characters should die...but this one came really close to a death-wish from me.

Obnoxious Prudence is in almost the whole book, creating havoc wherever she goes and her sister, Pitiful Patience, unbelievably puts up with the nonsense!  Patience defends her monster twin, believes all the lies, gets into fights with the hero Max over her sister.  I wanted to quit reading this book after about the sixtieth page, but I thought maybe it would get better, maybe be funny, the hero occasionally was funny, but n-o...it didn't get funny, it didn't get better.  I kept hoping that someone, anyone, would slug Petty Prudence, but this was not to be.  The book became one of those obsessions.  I just had to finish it.  Almost everyone in this book was despicable, they were hypnotic in their meanness, I tried to look away and failed. 

And, then there was the special moment when Vicious Prudence (in a fit) moves in with the villains of the story for a short time.  I thought, good, some relief maybe we get to see the loving couple have a romance.  Alas, it was not to be...they took over the fighting duty in the book.  It didn't matter what Max says to Patience.  Do you know why?  Because, everything he says, she takes exception to.  I liked this couple in the beginning, but the constant bickering was nothing but grating.  And then Viperous Prudence returned!  EEEKKK!!

Needless to say, I was very disappointed in this book, I expected more from this author.  I kept saying to myself "I'm missing something.  I know this is supposed to be funny. Why can't I laugh?"  I loved her first book, thought it was hilarious...but this one was agonizing. Maybe if the viciousness of the characters had been tempered with innocence or even stupidity it would have worked.  But, alas they were portrayed as relatively smart people.  I've read tons of funny romance books, slap-stick, screw-ball, mistaken identities and I know that this author can do that.  I would have to say, I cannot recommend this book.  If you want to read an enjoyable fun-filled book by Tamara Lejeune pick up Surrender to Sin.

Time/Place: Regency England
Sensuality: Close to Hot

No comments: