Wednesday

A Week to be Wicked by Tessa Dare

April 4, 2012
Road trip!  Road trip!  And what a delightful one it was!
http://tessadare.com/

From the very first pages of A Week to Be Wicked, I was smiling.  And, I kept on smiling throughout almost the whole book.  Also, let me introduce you to one of the most preciousssss couple ever, Minerva and Colin.  Kind of turns one's stomach doesn't it?  But they were.  They just made me smile and occasionally a chuckle would escape.  I had a great time reading this book.  Now, don't think that this was a laugh riot all the way through because it isn't.  There are some tender moments, some heart-rending and a few misunderstandings.  But they all blended seamlessly into the energy of the book. 

One of my favorite "enjoy the writing" moment was when the hero is trying to come up with a word describing the heroine's beauty.  I found myself wondering how much work Ms. Dare had to do to come up with that moment - I thought it was a very creative piece of writing.

I loved all of the wonderful stories Colin made up and how eventually Minerva became part of them.  The Tallyho/You're Cracked routine was funny and, at one point, tender.  The mathematical sex talk made me chuckle.  If you are one of those women who have walked with your nose buried in a book, you are probably going to identify with Minerva and cheer for her and Colin in their mad race to Scotland.

Did I love everything in the book?  Silly you, of course not.  I could have done without the heroine's self doubt toward the end of the book.  And here's why - in my mind, she had already established herself as a very strong woman, so, there was no need for the pathos to happen when it did.  It seemed out of character.  Maybe earlier in the book...but hey!  Just a minor hiccup, didn't distract from my total enjoyment of the story.

There was also a secondary story going on, which was an obvious lead into the next in the series and may have been a bit of a distraction.  But those times were short.

This is the second or maybe third (if you count the novella) in the Spindle Cove series, and this is by far my favorite.  This book will make you smile.

"Ease on down, ease on down the road
Come on, ease on down
Ease on down the road
Don't you carry nothing
That might be a load
Come on, ease on down
Ease on down the road" - The Wiz, Charlie Smalls

Time/Place: Regency England roads/barns/farms/inns/dens of iniquity
Sensuality: Hot


No comments: