Tuesday

Goodbye Jo

May 24, 2016

Today I found out that Jo Beverley had passed away on May 23rd. This makes me sad. Jo
was one of my favorite authors. It seems as if we have been together in the changing Romanceland from the beginning. She is the first author I ever wrote a fan letter to and much to my surprise she responded. In 1996 she wrote a book entitled The Shattered Rose. When I first read this book, I didn't like it. Years passed and I reread it and fell in love with the wonderful writing which Ms. Beverley brought to her books. The Shattered Rose is now one of my favorite poignant stories. She is also responsible for a wonderful character by the name of Rothgar. Rothgar is the older brother from her Malloren series, and she saved him for last. She created a clever campaign prior to the release of his story in 2000, sending out buttons with the words Waiting for Rothgar printed on them. This button has been pinned to my bookshelf for years - it always makes me smile. Ms. Beverley is also responsible for writing one of the longest, smartest, detailed, accurate how-to-name-your-aristocrat paper that's out there.  And, who can forget her Company of Rogues? Jo Beverley created a world filled with rogues, rakes, spinsters, heroines and loyal friends. We will miss the voice which created an amazing fantasy world for us to lose ourselves in. So I say goodbye Jo, I will miss you.


For Jo - "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. And now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of  these is love."

No comments: