Monday

Someone to Love by Mary Balogh

October 29, 2017
So quiet you almost don’t hear it.

http://www.marybalogh.com/

Someone to Love, the first novel in the Westcott series by Mary Balogh. This story is a wonderful example of Ms. Balogh’s writing a simple love story which isn’t really simple.

There isn’t any spy, villain, kidnapping, rescuing, or big misunderstanding. There is a misunderstanding but it’s so subtle one almost misses it. Ms. Balogh is at her best when she writes quiet stories and this is a great example of just how strong silence can be.

By the way, there is a pedigree chart in the beginning of this book which comes in handy. You see, we are introduced to a plethora of characters and there just may be a quiz at the end of the series (I made that up).

Anna Snow is a twenty-five year old teacher who works at an orphanage. She also happens to be an orphan herself. She likes her job and she is happy with herself. However, she yearns for someone who will love her and whom she can love. Everything is moving along normally at the orphanage; the children love her, she has a best friend Joel, her little room and the respect of the woman who runs the place. Then one day everything changes when she receives a letter from a solicitor requesting her presence in London.

Weeks earlier, the Westcott family, along with Avery Archer, Duke of Netherby, are gathered for the reading of the will of Earl of Riverdale. At the end of the will reading, Riverdale’s widow requests a meeting with the solicitor and Avery in which she tells them that her late husband had fathered a bastard child. She asks the solicitor to locate this person, give that person a settlement and then the family can then wipe their hands of her/him. Well, imagine the entire family's surprise when they are called back together some time later to find a stranger in their mist. Because they think that stranger is the illegitimate product of Riverdale they do not look on her very kindly. But more is in store for this aristocratic family. It seems that the earl was already married at the time of his second marriage – which means he committed bigamy. That also means that the orphan – Anna Snow – is now the legitimate off-spring and the three children by his second marriage are illegitimate. What a mess! And what a terrific beginning for a series. I can see alllll kinds of problems arising from this mess.

I was a great fan of both Anna and Avery. They both have hidden depths. Avery is not portrayed as the typical romance hero – he’s not tall, he doesn’t have muscles oozing out all over his body – he’s a sleepy-eyed fop. Those are the best kind and sleepy-eyed guys hark back to the early days of romance when most heroes had those eyes. So, because he reminded me so much of a number of my favorite old-time heroes, I liked him quite a lot.

Anna, I loved. She was such a strong woman; she understood so much. She was also very gentle, but she only allowed people to walk all over her so much. There were numerous times in this book when she took the control of her life away from her new-found family. I loved her reasoning and I loved the little speeches she gave. Together Avery and Anna made a great couple. And, their romance was a gentle, quiet thing, full of self-discovery.

I did have one quibble with a portion of the overall book and that quibble took me out of the story. If you have read the book, you may know which part I am referring to. It was an odd moment, I don't know if historically Avery would have really practiced any form of martial arts. So, it was a stretch for me to believe this portion. Having said that let me say this – briefly – I read historical romance books to escape – they are escapism. These days all I have to do is turn on the television and I am bombarded with things which are making me crazy. Which is why I do not like romance books which have an agenda, be that agenda left or right. I have read some of the comments about this portion of the book and they make me sad. Sometimes I think we scream our opinions so loudly we cannot hear others speak. When does one become a bully? Is someone a bully even when they are screaming the truth? Or what they perceive is the truth? I am rambling here, so I will stop.

Overall, this is a well-written book by Ms. Balogh. It is a gentle offering and I do recommend it


Time/Place: Regency England
Sensuality:Warm/Subtle
 

No comments: