Tuesday

A Duke in Shining Armor by Loretta Chase

December 12, 2017
Well that was fun

http://www.lorettachase.com/

And to think I almost didn't read it. Yes, yes! Shine the hot light on me. This was a prime example of reading a book when one was in a bad mood. Now, I don't know why I was in a bad mood and usually when I pick up a Loretta Chase book I'm doing a happy dance. But when I first opened this book I couldn't get into it. I was irritated, I couldn't grab onto Ms. Chase's writing rhythm, so I closed it and picked up an old old book and read that instead. After cleansing the doldrums away I returned to A Duke in Shining Armor and was I ever glad. What a delightful story - I had numerous chuckles and some strong laugh-out-loud moments. This was a pure joy, just in time for the holiday. Was everything smooth sailing? Of course not, I can always find something to whine about. Was this as good as my all-time favorite Lord of Scoundrels? Bite your tongue! But if you are in the mood for some light-hearted silliness, some goofy guys, some immature pranks, then this one is for you.

A Duke in Shining Armor begins Loretta Chase's new trilogy Difficult Dukes and I suspect that none of the Dukes are going to be asked to join Mensa. It will be interesting to see just where Ms. Chase takes the remaining not-so-bright heroes. I'm not sure their antics are sustainable - could be, could not be - we will see.

Lady Olympia Hightower, only daughter of the Earl of Gonerby is getting married. The story begins with her wedding day. She is having second thoughts. You see, she has been voted "most boring" girl of the season seven years in a row by the other debutantes. She is a wallflower, she's smart and she wears glasses, glasses that she needs. Imagine her surprise when she is first courted then asked to marry by the handsome, dissolute Duke of Ashmont. He and his two friends the Duke of Blackwood and the Duke of Ripley are up to all kinds of antics. Some funny, some not so funny. Ashmont is constantly drunk and constantly fighting duels. Because Olympia accidentally saves him, he becomes interested in her and proposes.

The day of the wedding Ashmont is there along with his two friends. They have had a night of carousing and he's a little worse for wear. He appoints his friend Hugh Ancaster, Duke of Ripley, to make sure everything goes as it should. When the people start to wonder just where the bride is, Hugh is sent to find her. What he finds is a surprise. The bride, in all of her finery, is climbing out of the library window. It seems she has changed her mind. The brandy she has been drinking has given her courage to make a run for it. Before Hugh can stop her, she's off. He gives chase. Which leads us down the path of a wonderful road-trip romance.

This was such a fun story. There are so many things which go wrong on this trip. True, some of the things, like saving a dog, have been done tons of time in Romanceland. However, in this book the save-the-dog routine has a fresh, funny feel to it. Hugh and Olympia's journey is intermingled by some of the great secondary characters in the story. Blackwood and Ashmont (say next heroes) give chase, so we start to learn what makes them tick along the way. But they are not the only secondary characters abounding in this book, there are: her aunt, Ashmont's uncle, Blackwood's wife - and the dog. All of these characters were strong, well-developed people with just enough mystery left over for the next books.

This is a fast-paced book, one thing happens after another - almost like a screwball comedy. But we also have a look into some of the deeper reasons behind some of the things the three men do. But mainly this is a fun book. I did have a few quibbles. The men are like immature college frat boys, always doing one plank after another. I did question whether the party they had with only people who had a speech impediment was funny. I considered it rather a mean thing to do and was surprised that the author put that section into her book. That and me not understanding why Hugh and Ashmont had a duel took this book out of a DIK category.

Overall, this is a delightful story filled with humor, wit, and some poignant moments - but mostly it was a delightful read. I highly recommend this latest Loretta Chase story.

Time/Place: 1833 English road-trip
Sensuality: Warm,hot

No comments: